Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd. has developed a field-coupled type* of power transmission system capable of supplying power to devices wirelessly. Use of this system makes it possible for battery operated mobile equipment or devices to be charged simply by placing them on the charger without the aid of power cords or other physical connections. This system is very efficient and features a high level of positioning freedom, making it extremely convenient to use.
As demand for advanced mobile devices continues to rise, the quest for development and commercialization of an efficient and cost effective wireless power transmission system is at the forefront of the marketplace.
However, there is a common concern with these development projects, which use electromagnetic induction system; e charging is not possible unless the mobile device is placed exactly at the charging point.
To address these issues, Murata Manufacturing has teamed up with TMMS Co., Ltd. (Technology Marketing & Management Solutions) , to utilize their field-coupled wireless power transmission technology and jointly develop and commercialize a wireless power transmission system. With the use of this combined system, devices can be charged without having to be concerned about the location of the charging point.
By providing a means of wireless power transmission, Murata Manufacturing intends to pave the way toward a world in which power cords will no longer be necessary, thus play a part in the proliferation of wireless power charging into the future.
||Positioning electrodes at the power-sending and power-receiving ends, the field-coupled system is a method that involves transmitting energy using the electrical fields generated between these electrodes. Since a capacitance is generated between the electrodes, it is also called a capacitive coupling system.
- Applied to the electrode structure of the wireless power transmission system, the combination of Murata’s and TMMS innovative technologies allows for a high level of efficiency and positioning freedom.
- Charging of multiple types of electronic devices using a single charging stand.
- A highly reliable system achieved by Murata’s unique safety control methods.
- Minimal heat is generated by the transmission point.
- Charging devices on the move made possible due to the to high level of positioning freedom.
- Easily incorporated into the devices because the electrodes that serve as the interface of the power transmission can be produced extremely thin.
- Many different materials such as transparent and flexible resins can be used for the charging stands, enabling the creation of highly attractive designs.
- Cell phones, mobile music players, digital still cameras, notebook PCs and other mobile devices, lighting fixtures, decorations, housing equipment and other related products
- By incorporating these chargers into an office desk, the desk will become a “smart” desk capable of charging notebook PCs, cell phones, digital still cameras and other devices by simply placing them on the desk.
- Integration of the wireless charging system throughout transportation venues and accommodation facilities, an environment will be created where devices can be charged anywhere without AC adaptors.
||more than 90% by wireless transmission part alone
||50 x 25 x10 mm (target size for 3W models)
||10 x 10 x 1.5 mm (target size for 3W models)
- Production targeted to start in 2011
- Monthly production to start with 10,000 units
To be determined for individual orders; production target price of 980 yen for power-transmitting module and power-receiving module together (for orders received when the monthly production runs to 100,000 units)
Ten (10) patents pending relating to the transmission method.
||TMMS Co., Ltd.
||October 3, 2006
||22 Kamaza-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto
|Main lines of business:
||Technical development and support, market development and support
Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd. is a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and sale of ceramic-based passive electronic components & solutions, communication modules and power supply modules. Murata is committed to the development of advanced electronic materials and leading edge, multi-functional, high-density modules. The company has employees and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. For more information, visit Murata's website at www.murata.com