Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd., has successfully commercialized the “micro DC-DC converters,” a series of ultra-small DC-DC converters with low EMI noise levels, which are targeted at mobile phones and other mobile devices.
The increasing sophistication contained in the functions of mobile devices has made it necessary for the power to be supplied separately with each individual function circuit. With a view to tackling the market demand to (1) reduce the component mounting area, (2) take steps to counter EMI noise and (3) conserve energy, Murata has applied its unique circuit design technology and multilayer process technology to develop and commercialize ultra-small micro DC-DC converters with low EMI noise levels. DC-DC converters serve to convert DC voltages into other DC voltages. Murata plans to continue contributing to the optimization of the power supply peripheral circuit design of mobile devices.
- The inductor, a ferrite substrate containing the EMI filter function and a power IC have all been integrated to achieve a small size.
(The new converters have an on-board footprint that is 60% less compared to when a discrete converter is mounted.)
- The wiring connections have been reduced to the shortest possible lengths by integrating the power IC and inductor.
- An EMI reduction function has been incorporated to suppress harmonic noise.
(Radiation noise: 30 dB reduction)
- A line-up of converters is available to flexibly accommodate output voltages in a range from 0.8V to 4.0V.
- High-efficiency step-down synchronous rectification type, with PWM/PFM automatic switching control.
Mobile phones, digital still cameras, portable media players and all types of other compact mobile devices
Electric characteristics (Ta=25°C)
|Operating input voltage
||Vout: 0.8V～4.0V (Fixed)
||Iout (Max) : 600mA
|Maximum applied voltage
|Operating temperature range
|Storage temperature range
||2.5 ± 0.2mm
||2.0 ± 0.2mm
Production begins in October 2010
Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd. is a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and sale of ceramic-based passive electronic components & solutions, communication modules and power supply modules. Murata is committed to the development of advanced electronic materials and leading edge, multi-functional, high-density modules. The company has employees and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. For more information, visit Murata's website at www.murata.com